Friday, July 6, 2012

Dolls! Ballerina Dress for a 1950's Sweet Sue Doll

Ta da! After much work and interruptions with colds and other things, I finally finished the ballerina dress for my Sweet Sue doll. I got the copper tulle from Tessuti fabrics in Melbourne. I think it just makes it look so old fashioned, and suits Sweet Sue's complexion. The skirt and bodice are made from a remnant of shot polyester satin that I got at the Clegs remnants sale at the start of the year. It is a beautiful quality, made in Taiwan and weighs 255 grams per square metre. Only the best for my dollies! Seriously though, the fabrics they used to dress these dolls in originally were very good quality, so it makes sense to try and use the same quality fabrics when replacing their outfits.

The spray of apple blossom flowers at her waist are vintage and were made in Japan. I have kept the labels on for authenticity.

A strapless bodice like a real grown up has!

Back view

The only change I made to the original pattern was to add a layer of stiff white netting underneath the skirt so it would stand out more. I also lined the skirt with lining fabric to get a neater finish on the hem.

I have not seen a Sweet Sue in a ballerina dress yet, but there is one on page 94 of Judith Izin's book American Character Dolls.

Now I am sewing for me. I am making a stretch cowl neck top out of a Vogue pattern, and hemming some jeans and work trousers. More about the Vogue top project soon.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...