Monday, December 24, 2012

Second Sue Kim Pencil Case, All Done

Here is the second pencil case I made using the Sue Kim pattern. Details about the pattern are here and the first pencil case I made is shown here. This one is for my niece.

The only 'gripe' I have about Sue Kim's book is that she does not give the seam allowances that should be used. I thought they were a 1/4 inch, but I think they were 5/8 ths of an inch. I am glad I got it wrong because these pencil cases are very small, so an extra half inch in the width is not a problem. It is a glorious book though, and I have had a 'zillion' compliments about the messenger bag that I made using the pattern from her book. And there are quite a few more I would like to try.

I have a new follower! Go and have a look at Maria's blog about the Spanish doll Chabel which was made in the 80's and 90's. She has a marvellous collection of these dolls and their accessories. I can't believe you could get so many things for these dolls. Just click on the google translate button to select English.

Merry Christmas to you and yours, and happy sewing too!


Monday, December 17, 2012

Dolls! Prairie Dress for an American Girl Doll, All Finished.

This is the dress that I made for my American Girl doll using McCalls 6327. I am going to make the bonnet and matching bloomers, but I have to make the pencil case for my niece's christmas present first. Especially as it is Christmas in a week's time!

I am not sure if I will put the lace trims on the dress as they did in the pattern. As I went to some effort to get the white flowers in the centre of the neckline, I think that lace would be too busy. I might just put it around the hem.

Monday, December 3, 2012

Dolls! Prairie Style Dress for an American Girl Doll

I tried to blame my American Girl 'dolly fever' on Audra's blog, but of course I am quite capable of generating my own. I have gone from really disliking these dolls to really liking them. Audra had the same experience.

This is My American Girl number 32. She initially came with her hair done in pig-tails, but I took them out as they looked a bit thin and scrappy. You can see how they have cut the hair to make it easier to form the two pigtails.

I just moved her hair over the 'bald spot' and it doesn't look too bad:

Here she is modelling her half finished dress. I think the blue matches her eyes beautifully. The outfit she came in is a bit boring and I love the historical American Girl dolls, so I thought I would see how she looked in an old fashioned dress.

This is the pattern I am using - McCalls 3627. I am making the dress in the top right corner which comes with a matching prairie style bonnet and bloomers. I didn't have enough of the blue fabric so I found some white fabric for the sleeves which will give it a pinafore look. All of this fabric came out of my stash, so I am quite proud of that! I have to make the pencil case for my niece before christmas, so I will have to leave sewing up the bonnet and bloomers until later.

Thankyou Claudia for becoming a follower on my blog. It is always so flattering when someone goes to that effort.

Happy Sewing Everyone!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...