Sunday, April 10, 2011

Burda 3197 Top, All Done

Here I am modelling my finished Burda top made in stretch fabric. I think it is a cotton interlock. I did everything on the overlocker, except for the hems. As an exercise on how to sew stretch fabrics, I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

The ladies at Knitwit fabrics suggest using 20mm Vliesofix adhesive tape for hems and necklines on knits as it stops the hem from stretching. The neckline on this pattern has a separate facing so I didn't need it for that, but it worked a treat on the hems.

To turn up the hems, finish the edge first by overlocking or zig zagging. Cut off strips of Vliesofix, lay it on the edge of your hem (wrong side of the fabric), rough side face down, and iron on for about 5 seconds. Let it cool a little and then peel off the backing paper, turn up the hem and iron it in place using a damp pressing cloth. You need to stitch the fabric in place as the Vliesofix is not enough to keep the hem permanently in place. I used a twin needle to get a mock cover stitch look.

This was a quick and easy project to fit in while I have been studying and I am going to make another one in this fabric which I also bought from Crafty Mammas online store.

2 comments:

Giselle said...

That's beautiful! Came out great.
I just bought this pattern and was looking for images on Google to show my sister.
I'm so glad I took a look at your blog post: I didn't think about doing it on the Overlocker, so I'll give that a go. Thanks so much for the great tip!
Your 1990s version of this is very beautiful as well, I wish I could find a fabric like that. Gorgeous.

Lizzie said...

Thanks Giselle! It is a very old out of print pattern, so I'm glad you found my photos. Have fun making it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...