Monday, August 15, 2011

Dolls! 1950's Sweet Sue Hard Plastic Walker Doll


I won this 1950's 21 inch hard plastic Sweet Sue doll at auction recently. It was one of those auctions where you get a card with your number to hold up. No-one wanted her because she is a bit of a mess, but I didn't pay much for her. I just adored her face, and the fact that she is a walker, and turns her head from side to side as she walks. Her hair is a very inappropriate replacement, and although someone has lovingly made the dress she is wearing, I think I can do something for her by making an outfit using an original pattern from the time period.


The eyes are replacements also.


The detail in her hands is stunning.


This pattern is a copy of an original pattern of clothes for Sweet Sue dolls, and I will be ordering a copy of this one from Playtimeone on Ebay.


And I could not resist the ballerina design on this one that I purchased from dds_love4dolls on Ebay. It is a copy of the original pattern.


According to my copy of Children's Costume : the Complete Historical Sourcebook by John Peacock, girls at around the 10 -12 year age group were wearing waisted dresses with full puffy skirts and petticoats that came to just below the knee for most of the 1950's, so I think the designs in these patterns are spot on. And as always, I love looking at the art work made for these pattern covers. It is just lovely.

I need to give her a clean up with mild soapy water on a cotton bud to see if I can remove any of the dirt, and use just water in painted areas such as her cheeks. I may not go near those areas at all because they are not too bad. I am going to a doll fair soon so I will see if I can pick up a better wig for her, or find someone who can replace her wig for a reasonable price. I do not want to spend too much money on her because she is not in very good condition, but it seems a shame not to at least make a replacement outfit for her.

So I have added another project to my long list of exciting projects. The hem alterations that I have been doing on the RTW items that I bought on sale recently have dragged to a halt this weekend as I was out and about and then came down with a cold virus. There is always next weekend...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...