Saturday, August 4, 2012

Dolls! All About 1950's Sweet Sue With the Flexible Foot


This is my 20 inch American Character Sweet Sue with the Flexible Foot, made from 1957 to 1958. She originally came with a plastic model's case that had extra shoes, ballet slippers (I think they are her ballet slippers that she is wearing) and a leotard. She is wearing her original outfit called Collegiate.

The quality of this doll is exceptional in my opinion. She is heavy (probably not that good for play though) and the attention to detail is amazing. Because I do dressmaking, the construction of the clothes for these 1950's dolls never ceases to amaze me. The cut, style and fit is as good as anything made for a real person.


According to Judith Izen's book American Character Dolls Identification and Value Guide, the vinyl used for these dolls heads was made with a creamy vinyl unique to American Character. The saran hair is full and of good quality.


She even has red tulle on her matching petticoat or crinoline:


And just because she can, here she is modelling a vintage red straw hat and a Sweet Sue walker's blue handbag.



When I purchased another doll recently, I got this little pamphlet for American Character dolls, with instructions on how to make their fashion dolls walk!




Sweet Sue With the Flexible Foot could wear flat shoes or high heels, simply by tilting her ankle. She also had a twist waist. I keep her in a pair of flat shoes as her ankles are a bit wobbly and I don't want to put pressure on them causing a crack or split in the plastic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading about the Sweet Sue with the flexible foot. I did not know that was the brand of my doll until today. I recently had her repaired. Now I'm looking to have some clothes made.

Deefor dolls said...

Thank you for your research into the Sweet Sue Flex Foot doll and her "Collegiate outfit". My Shirley Temple 15" doll came to me dressed in this outfit and I had no idea where it came from until I saw your blog! I have recently bought a vintage Valentine Walking Ballerina doll with flex foot (17VW) from Ebay. She is wearing a very unusual fancy dress which doesn't look original to her (too long for one thing), but it's pretty, and I will keep looking for the doll the dress originally was made for. Thanks again for your blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...