Monday, April 25, 2011

Sewing Retrospective : New Look Peasant Tops 6809

I made these 2 peasant style tops for Summer 2010 using New Look pattern 6809. They went together really well, and being a peasant top, did not require a whole lot of fussy fitting.

The short sleeved version has tucks which were not hard to do at all. The worst thing is ironing them after washing.

I would definitely make one again using this pattern, but I guess a girl can only have so many peasant tops.

Bootsie kindly offered to pose in the fashion shoot.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Burda 3197 Top, All Done

Here I am modelling my finished Burda top made in stretch fabric. I think it is a cotton interlock. I did everything on the overlocker, except for the hems. As an exercise on how to sew stretch fabrics, I am quite pleased with the way it turned out.

The ladies at Knitwit fabrics suggest using 20mm Vliesofix adhesive tape for hems and necklines on knits as it stops the hem from stretching. The neckline on this pattern has a separate facing so I didn't need it for that, but it worked a treat on the hems.

To turn up the hems, finish the edge first by overlocking or zig zagging. Cut off strips of Vliesofix, lay it on the edge of your hem (wrong side of the fabric), rough side face down, and iron on for about 5 seconds. Let it cool a little and then peel off the backing paper, turn up the hem and iron it in place using a damp pressing cloth. You need to stitch the fabric in place as the Vliesofix is not enough to keep the hem permanently in place. I used a twin needle to get a mock cover stitch look.

This was a quick and easy project to fit in while I have been studying and I am going to make another one in this fabric which I also bought from Crafty Mammas online store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...